Australian Father of the Year Award
The Australian Father of the Year Awards
The Australian Father of the Year Awards aim to celebrate and acknowledge the vital role that fathers play within families, and in the wider community. Each year the Australian Father’s Day Council and The Shepherd Centre select a distinguished father who has demonstrated support, guidance and love to his children or other children through his working role or family life to take out the prestigious Australian Father of the Year Award. Our 2015 Australian Father of the Year is Belmore doctor and Muslim community leader Dr Jamal Rifi. To read more about Dr Jamal Rifi please click here. Past winners include Basketballer Andrew Gaze, Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith, Aussie Home Loans founder John Symond, Air Chief Marshal (retired) Angus Houston, former Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Taronga Conservation Society Australia Guy Cooper, author of best-selling autobiography Mao’s Last Dancer Li Cunxin and Swans Coach Paul Roos.
- Nominations for our 2016 Australian Father of the Year Award are now closed.
- Our 2016 Australian Father of the Year will be announced close to Fathers’ Day, in late August or early September 2016.
Nomination criteria – the Australian Father of the Year Awards:
The nominee must be:
- A father who is an inspirational role model and maintains a strong commitment and involvement with his family.
- A father who is an inspirational role model to the children in the communities with whom he associates.
- A father who has made a significant contribution to the nation and is recognised for his personal, academic or professional achievements.
- A father who is committed to maintaining an ongoing and future contribution to the nation. Consideration is given to voluntary, unpaid work undertaken and awards and recognition previously received.