Even if you might be having a break from your usual appointments, the audiology team are available to assist all families right throughout the holiday period. We encourage you to contact us should you have any concerns about your child’s hearing. While the centres might be closed, please don’t hesitate to call the audiology mobile number – 0414 692 914 – at any time.
With the holiday season upon us, please find below a ‘Survival Guide’ with key dates, useful information and emergency contacts for use during the Christmas break.
Audiology tips for the Christmas holidays
So that you can be confident that your child is able to hear everything they possibly can this holiday season, here are few things to consider:
1. Have you checked your child’s hearing device(s) recently? Think about the parts that typically get dirty or need cleaning or replacing (tubing, mould, microphone covers, etc).
2. Do you have plenty of dehumidifier tablets for your dry kit?
3. If you have a spare device, do you know where it is? Is it in working order in case you need it?
4. Do you have plenty of batteries and your usual spare parts?
The Shepherd Centre’s audiology team are here to assist. Please remember:
– Do not hesitate to contact us if you are concerned with your child’s access to sound at any time. You can contact an audiologist on 0414 692 914.
– If your child has an implant and you have any concerns, we can get in touch with the medical team from the First Sounds Implant program – again do not hesitate to call us on the number listed above.
– We always get a few calls over the holidays when a sound processor gets lost or damaged, when extra parts are needed and if something isn’t working properly. This is exactly what our after-hours service is for! Don’t hesitate to contact us and we can direct you to the appropriate service or follow up on your request.
– The holidays are a time to hear and learn lots of new things, so we want to ensure children can hear well at this time to make the best of these new and exciting experiences.
Australian Hearing (including the Cochlear Implant Support Team) will be closed from 5pm on Thursday 22nd December, re-opening on Wednesday 4th January, 2017.
Emergency contacts – please add these to your mobile!
The Shepherd Centre Head Office: 1800 020 030 (The office will close for the Christmas break from 3pm on Friday 23rd December and reopen on Monday 9th January 2017)
Audiology and First Sounds Program: 0414 692 914
Australian Hearing CI Support: 1800 131 339
Parent Line: 13 20 55 (Toll free, 24 hour telephone information, counselling and referral service for all NSW parents of children aged 0 – 18 years. Operates 7 days, including public holidays)
Wishing you a happy and safe Christmas and New Year – from everyone here at The Shepherd Centre, we look forward to seeing you again in 2017!