Audiology tips for the Christmas holidays
Just a reminder to consider the following ahead of the holiday period:
- Have you checked your child’s hearing device(s) recently? Think about the parts that typically get dirty or need cleaning or replacing (tubing, mould, microphone covers, etc).
- Do you have plenty of batteries and your usual spare parts?
- Do you have plenty of dehumidifier tablets for your dry kit?
- If you have a spare device, do you know where it is? Is it in working order in case you need it?
The Shepherd Centre’s audiology team is here to assist. Please remember:
- Do not hesitate to contact us if you are concerned with your child’s access to sound at any time. You can contact an audiologist on 0414 692 914. This phone is checked for messages and voicemails twice a day, at 10:00am and at 4:00pm.
- If your child has an implant and you have any concerns, we can get in touch with the medical team from the First Sounds Implant program – again do not hesitate to call us on the number listed above.
- We always get a few calls over the holidays when a sound processor gets lost or damaged, when extra parts are needed and if something isn’t working properly. This is exactly what our after-hours service is for! Don’t hesitate to contact us and we can direct you to the appropriate service or follow up on your request.
- The holidays are a time to hear and learn lots of new things, so we want to ensure children can hear well at this time to make the best of these new and exciting experiences.
Australian Hearing (including the Cochlear Implant Support Team for spare parts) will be closed from Friday 21st December, re-opening on Monday 7th January 2019.
Emergency contacts – please add these to your mobile!
- The Shepherd Centre Head Office: 1800 020 030 (The office will close for the Christmas break from 3pm on Friday 21st December and reopen on Monday 7th January 2018)
- Audiology and First Sounds Program: 0414 692 914
- Australian Hearing CI Support: 1800 131 339
- Parent Line: 13 20 55 (Toll free, 24 hour telephone information, counselling and referral service for all NSW parents of children aged 0 – 18 years. Operates 7 days, including public holidays)
Wishing you a happy and safe holiday period and New Year – from everyone here at The Shepherd Centre, we look forward to seeing you again in 2019!