Congratulations to our 2020 Australian Father of the Year – Former Commissioner of the New South Wales Rural Fire Service and current Head of Resilience NSW Shane Fitzsimmons; to our Community Father of the Year and father of three, Jacob Hurrell, for his dedication to his son with hearing loss. Read the 2020 Media Release here.
The Australian Father of the Year Awards aim to celebrate and acknowledge the vital role that fathers play within families, and in the wider community. Each year the Australian Father’s Day Council and The Shepherd Centre select a distinguished father who has demonstrated support, guidance and love to his children or other children through his working role or family life to take out the prestigious Australian Father of the Year Award.
Nominations for the 2020 Australian Father of the Year Award are now closed. We thank everyone for their thoughtful nominations.
Nomination criteria – the Australian Father of the Year Awards:
The nominee must be:
- A father who is an inspirational role model and maintains a strong commitment and involvement with his family.
- A father who is an inspirational role model to the children in the communities with whom he associates.
- A father who has made a significant contribution to the nation and is recognised for his personal, academic or professional achievements.
- A father who is committed to maintaining an ongoing and future contribution to the nation. Consideration is given to voluntary, unpaid work undertaken and awards and recognition previously received.
Past winners include:
- Bandit Heeler from the TV show Bluey
- Sports Journalist Mark Beretta
- Entrepreneur, aviator, adventurer and philanthropist Dick Smith AC
- Former NSW Premier Mike Baird
- Former Governor of New South Wales His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Ret’d)
- GP and community leader Dr Jamal Rifi
- Basketballer Andrew Gaze
- Aussie Home Loans founder John Symond
- Air Chief Marshal (retired) Angus Houston
- Former Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Taronga Conservation Society Australia Guy Cooper
- Author of best-selling autobiography Mao’s Last Dancer Li Cunxin
- Former Swans Coach Paul Roos
See our Australian Father of the Year awards in the news
Former Australian Father of the Year Dr Jamal Rifi talks to Feed Play Love about being a great dad.
Kinderling – Bluey’s dad wins The Shepherd Centre’s Father of the Year: https://www.kinderling.com.au/news/bluey-s-dad-bandit-wins-father-of-the-year-and-we-can-totally-see-why
10 Daily – Dad from Bluey named The Shepherd Centre’s Australian Father of the Year: https://10daily.com.au/lifestyle/life/a190828telaj/the-dad-from-bluey-has-been-named-father-of-the-year-20190828
Mark Beretta named 2019 Father of The Year by The Shepherd Centre: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/sunrise-host-mark-beretta-named-father-of-the-year-for-2019/news-story/2e64849da6bcaab0151caa13d8fc18e9
Channel 7 Sunrise: Mark Beretta named The Shepherd Centre’s Australian Father of the Year 2019: https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the-show/mark-beretta-named-australian-father-of-the-year-c-422481
News.com.au: Dick Smith named 2018 Australian Father of the Year for his commitment to philanthropy by The Shepherd Centre: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/kids/dick-smith-named-australian-father-of-the-year-2018/news-story/db404ecfe4c32556bd7a4002e6520b24