This is the section of the Privacy Notice of the Shepherd Centre ABN 61 000 699 927 related to our client information. Please contact our Clinical Privacy Officer (as detailed below) if you require any further information regarding our Privacy Notice and use of your data.
We collect personal and sensitive information, including health information, as necessary to enable The Shepherd Centre to carry out its work and deliver services to the community and our clients.
The Shepherd Centre:
- Adheres to all legislative requirements regarding privacy and Confidentiality, including those detailed in the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
- Is required to provide information to NSW Government Family & Community Services, Ageing Disability and Home Care (ADHC) and Department of Education ACT on a quarterly basis as a condition of our funding agreement. This information is coded to ensure that no child or family is identifiable.
- Is also required to provide information to the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) related to individual goals and plan outcomes.
- May exchange information about your child between The Shepherd Centre (TSC) and Australian Hearing, Department of Education, ENT Specialist, FACS, NDIA and other government agencies as required to deliver our services to you.
- Uses information obtained from families for internal research projects and reviews of clinical population. If this information is disseminated outside of The Shepherd Centre it is de-identified to ensure the privacy of all families.
- May be required to disclose personal information to authorised officers for child protection purposes as detailed in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998. TSC ensures that any data held digitally is protected through appropriate encryption and fire walls.
- In the event of a data breach, adheres to its data breach plan which complies with all legislative requirements including those in the Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breach) Act 2017.
When you give us personal information, such as your name and address, we record it on our database and may use it to contact you in the future. We may use your personal information to send you information about our programs, research funding, special events and fundraising programs (“direct marketing”). When we send you a direct marketing communication we will provide you with a simple way to ‘opt out’ of receiving similar communications in the future. You can also let us know that you do not wish to receive any of these communications by contacting our Privacy Officer as detailed on our website.
From time to time The Shepherd Centre carries out public relations, internal training, communication including communication to the online learning community (for people that have joined Connect) and marketing activities to generate support and maintain a strong profile in the community, and raise awareness about childhood hearing loss. This is achieved with images, recordings, video footage and interview materials through promotional materials and the media. In this cases we may ask for your permission to use such visual images and materials of your child and family for these purposes. We will provide you with a simple way to ‘opt in’ to the use of these materials and we will only use these materials if we have a written permission from you.
Occasionally we may collect information about you from other organisations that have a right to disclose it to us, when it’s not practical to obtain it from you. For example, we obtain personal information from other organisations to help us identify people who might be interested in supporting us with significant donations. To help us conduct our activities we may also collect information about you that is publicly available such as through articles in the newspapers and public information on the internet. Further information is provided on the general Privacy Notice on our website: https://shepherdcentre.org.au/about-us/privacy/.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the use or storage of personal information, please contact:
Clinical Privacy Officer
146 Burren Street, Newtown NSW 2042
PO BOX 871, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012
P: 02 9370 4400 F: 02 9370 4499
E: [email protected].